Wednesday, August 18, 2010

One Week - Happy Week 28!

One second can change your life.  It was one week ago at these very moments that those life-changing seconds were ticking off the clock.

Just as we were getting ready to settle down for some dinner, I stood up from my rocking chair only to realize immediately that my water broke at only 27 weeks into my pregnancy.  Even as I dialed the hospital to relay the symptoms to the nurse, I knew that something was drastically wrong.  As soon as she heard what I had to say, she told us to come immediately.

We scooped up our belongings, got in the van and took Trent to his Uncle Andy and Aunt Amy's house.  The ride to their house and then to the hospital was a blur, but I can remember holding Landon's hand so hard that it seemed I was willing the world to stop so I could get a handle of what was happening.  But as I took that first step out of the van at the hospital, I knew with each squishy step of my shoes that those steps would change our reality.

It was one week ago right now that my own doctor arrived in my room and looked at me with fear and concern on her face that you never want to see.  It was one week ago that my parents were eating dinner and got a call from me, telling them what had happened, and they dropped everything at the table to rush to my bedside.  It was one week ago that we sent texts and made phone calls to family and friends, asking for prayer, and we felt it physically overcome us as word was spread across the miles.

One simple week...seven days.

One week ago the decision was made to send us to a larger hospital in Topeka, via airplane.  And it was one week ago that I took my first ambulance ride, got in my first Cessna airplane, and had an Army refueling plane in a holding pattern just so we could land at Forbes Airforce Base in Topeka.  All this time, one week ago, Landon was packing bags and driving like crazy to be by my side.

One week ago my sister-in-law Paula met me at the hospital and helped me through those first few hours I spent in triage.  And it was one week ago that my husband walked in the door and I felt as though the world would tip back on it's axis once again with him there.

But it was also in those early morning hours, one week ago, that the prayers were being answered.  The water slowed, the blood pressure dropped, and the sure signs of early delivery faded away.  The doctors decided it was best to let nature take it's course and see what happened.

But you know....that was a week ago.  Baby Ethan is still in his God-given incubator, his heartbeat is strong, his mama is healthy, and he made it in there one more week.

So yes, one week ago it felt like our world came crashing down.  The events were surreal, the clock moved in a horizontal motion, and life seemed to stop.  But we're celebrating tonight because that was a week ago.  God is protecting our little baby boy.  We don't know how long He plans to keep Ethan in my tummy, but we know His timing is perfect.

And though a week ago seems like so much happened, we're looking forward to next week when we get to celebrate another milestone before Ethan's arrival.  Our weeks are filled with laughter, tears, joy, and pain right now, but we're going to have the biggest party ever when we're all home safe and sound.  And it just may last and entire week.


Stay with us as our story comes to life!  I'll post here and put the links on Facebook.  Thanks for your continued prayers and support!  Love, Landon & Jenny

4 comments:

  1. Great job! I always love reading your words. God given talent! I am honored to be a tiny part in those prayers for you all! Can't wait for next weeks update! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    The Doyle's, the whole clan, are
    pulling hard for this little guy! We are standing by.

    Dick and Patti Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,
    God has protected you and your little Ethan. He is using your beautiful words to give strength to others. I know you are sharing you positive spirit at the hospital, but also through your blog. Blessings always.
    Kathy F

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing writer and an amazing person. I have loved hearing from you the last few days. I miss those Dively dinners and sitting out on the balcony just talking and laughing!
    Every day is one day closer to a healthier and stronger baby boy!
    Looking forward to your next post....

    ReplyDelete